Thursday, June 17, 2010

26.2

Another first for me...I completed a marathon!

I make sure that I don't say that I RAN a marathon because I did a lot walking too.

(I've actually written a longer, more detailed account of my day but I'll try to post a Cliff Notes version.)

John drove me downtown on Saturday morning, November 7th, took a few pictures and then left after the start of the race. I jokingly told everyone that he would be going back home, be able to have breakfast, take a nap and build an addition on our house prior to coming back down to watch me cross the finish line…because that’s how long it would take me!

The race starts, I give Boomer a high-five and I’m on my way.

As I approached the 5 mile marker I wondered if I might be in trouble. I felt like I was having trouble breathing; as though I was hearing the “death rattle” in my lungs. So I popped a cough drop and hoped that it would soon pass. I plodded along, up Fall Creek Parkway and then the course splits. I thought to myself, “Why didn’t I sign up for the Half Marathon? I’d be closer to the finish right now!” It was very windy along 38th street past the State Fairgrounds and we were running directly INTO it. The path up Washington Blvd was beautiful. But then here comes the “gloomy” part; all of a sudden I get passed by the 5:30 hr pace group. Dang…that was the “time” that I was really hoping to finish in. Well, it is what it is and I continue to plod along.

Up in the Broad Ripple area one of the bars had set speakers outside to keep participants pumped up with music. However, as I was passing by the song “Another One Bites The Dust” was playing. I didn’t find that to be very encouraging. But maybe that WAS my motivation to move it a little fast past that area. I know that the furthest north I have to go is 66th Street and I find myself watching those street signs closely, hoping that “66” approaches soon. Turn the corner and eventually cross under the 13.1 mile marker. There is a big inflatable archway and I sign that says, “Congratulations. You are half way done.” Ah, if only that were true. While technically from a distance/mileage standpoint, yes I am halfway done but everyone says that you shouldn’t consider yourself at the halfway point until you get to the 20 mile marker. YIKES!!

Finally I get to the 20 mile marker. Yep…there is it is, the wall that everyone talks about. Now it becomes a mind game. I’ve found that the more I walk the harder it is to start running again. Should I have just trained to walk this thing? It’s good for my morale to see a young kid up ahead of me and he is walking! I’ve passed him…but I’m sure I’ll see him again. Along the course you see all shapes, sizes and ages. It makes you wonder how someone that at least looks older, bigger and maybe more out of shape than me can be ahead of me. I guess even during a marathon you should never judge a book by its cover. I need remember that this is MY race and get to that finish line. Somewhere between the 24 & 25 mile markers I smell maple syrup. Man it smells good; wonder where it’s coming from? I’m really tired of my Power Bars at this point and don’t think I can take another bite. I’m now at Monument Circle so not too much longer. There’s another course photographer but this time my smile is not forced…well, maybe a little.

I’ve just crossed on to West Street and I keep looking to my left. I see them up ahead! John and Patriot are waiting on me. John must have told him that I was coming because I see him get up and start looking around for me. This brings a great big smile to my face and the extra mental push that I needed. I take the leash from John and Patriot & I cross the finish line together. Well, technically, I think he crossed before me but that’s okay. People are cheering us on and I hear the P.A. announcer say my name and mention “her dog” as well. I sure hope the professional photographers got a good shot of us.

My Marathon day is over. Believe it or not, I don’t feel too bad. Part of me wonders if it’s because I didn’t push myself hard enough but the fact remains that I have been out there for 26.2 miles. I need to stop being so negative. I get my water, a banana and TWO chocolate chip cookies. They tasted fabulous.

Although I’m done with the marathon, my “day” isn’t complete. I go home, shower and relax/nap for a couple of hours but then its time to get ready for the Blue & Gold Ball at Conseco Fieldhouse. So the evening finds my out of running shoes and a sports bra but in a cocktail dress and heels.

Maybe on Sunday I’ll just do nothing.